May 03, 2016

That Time I Got Body-Hair Shamed By My Sister (And Why I Don't Care)

When I first read about how Corinne (from SkinnedCartree) got hair-shamed online, I knew I had to write my own version it. It's something I've always felt strongly about; something rather personal to me. So when Day 2 of #BEDM asked us to share an opinion post, I knew this was it.

So here's to "Monday Tuesday Musings", hairy legs and my take on it.

body hair shaming, hairy legs, women body hair, body hair campaign

It has become more of a repetitive event now. Everytime my (cousin) sister and I meet, this is how our conversation occasionally goes:

Sister: You should really shave, you know? OR I see you still haven't shaved.

Me: Eh maybe later.

Sister: It looks ugly.

Me: Yeah well, I don't care.

At this point, we usually shrug and change the topic because it gets uncomfortable as fuck. Other times, she pretends not to be bothered by my body hairs and I by her death stare.

Honestly though? It's okay. I don't care. Not anymore.

The first time she pointed out my hairy arm-pits, I felt horribly embarrassed. I was at home wearing a sleeveless top and shorts, parading out all hairy and proud. I never had a reason to feel ashamed. Not until that day.

It's not like I ran about shoving my hairy arms and legs up people's eyes.

And yet, there we are.

I have no shame in admitting that I rarely shave. It's mainly because:

a. I always wear long-sleeved shirts and jeans outside (unless I'm at home).

b. I have very light-toned hairs. You might notice them, you might not.

Does that mean I'm against shaving? Ofcourse not.

Shave away all you want. Or not, if you don't want to.

If and when I shave, it's probably because I'm wearing something short-sleeved and I wouldn't like my arm-pit hairs poking out of my sleeves.

Would I be bothered if it were someone else? Nope. Not at all. It's their arms, their hairs.

This is no way means that I'm against those who shave, by the way. So you like to shave and stay pretty: yay you. Or you probably don't and still feel pretty. Again, ditto.

Either way, it's not a decision you or I get to make about others. Most of all, make them feel ashamed about themselves. It doesn't matter who's passing the remarks - friends, family or random strangers online (like in case of Corinne). Each of it affects us equally.

I'm saying this because I personally went through a brief stage where I felt awful about my own body. I remember looking into the mirror everyday wishing I were better, prettier, fitter.

It makes me sad how body-hairs have become such a taboo. Especially, if you're living with it.

So yes, I've got body-hairs. Plenty, if I may add. So does million other people. You too, if I may add. Some shave, some do not. And that's perfectly fine either way!

I'll probably never understand why it grosses people out. (ARE YOU GROSSED OUT BY MY HAIRY LEGS? ARE YOU? ARE YOU?)

It's okay to have an opinion. It's okay to dislike it. But before you pass that nasty comment, just stop and think twice about how it may hurt them - because it will.

Don't tear someone down over something as silly as body-hairs. Don't force your idea of perfection on them. Let them be however they are - hairy, hairless, whatever.

Just stop being a jackass hypocrite, okay?

Have you ever faced anything similar (or know someone who did)? What are your thoughts on the issue?


Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...