February 29, 2016

Recent Reads: February 2016

First off, Happy Leap Day!

Also, let's take a moment to soak in the fact that LEO FINALLY WON AN OSCAR YAAAASSS.

(Okay, I'm okay now. Totally lying. I'm so crazy happy right now I may barf.)

Remember how I gloated about reading 7 books in January? That was a good month.

February - not so much. I read only 2 books this month. (In my defense, I'm neck-deep in college assignments and it's taking me forever to finish them.) So alas, February was a particularly sucky reading month for me.

2016 Reading Progress = 9/70 books.

(I'll be posting detailed reviews of all the books soon.)



THE SWORD OF SUMMER (MAGNUS CHASE AND THE GODS OF ASGARD #1)
Rating:
4/5

The Sword of Summer is the first book in Rick Riordan's new series, Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, which is based on Norse mythology. I dived totally blind into this series because I knew shit about Norse mythology. I had no idea about the gods or the worlds (yes, plural) or anything for that matter. But it was SO MUCH FUN to finally learn about them. So Magnus Chase is the son of a Norse God and he goes on an epic adventure with his friends to find a certain sword (aka The Sword of Summer) AND to stop Ragnarok (aka doomsday). That's it! That all I can say without giving away spoilers. But believe me, it's an incredibly hilarious and wonderful book.

GLASS SWORD (RED QUEEN #2)
Rating:
3.5/5

I have no idea how to speak about the book without giving spoilers. (If you haven't the Red Queen, you can read my non-spoiler book review here.) Okay, so Glass Sword picks up right after Red Queen. It was as intense as the first one - more fights, more blood, more deaths, more magic. HECKS YEAAH. But tbh Mare was annoying as fuck in this book. Cal, though, was a cinnamon roll (as always). And I LOVED the abilities of the newbloods. Um manipulating gravity and shape-shifting? YES PLEASE. Glass Sword was one of my most-anticipated sequels of 2016 and now, I don't know... I'm left disappointed. What's with the cliffhanger, Victoria?



I'm currently reading This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp. It's a YA book about a school shooting. I'm about 30 pages into the book and so far my reaction has been "ugh yawn uh-huh". I mean, there are very few YA books dealing with a serious issue like school shooting. *shakes head* I hope the story picks up soon, because I'd hate to DNF this book. SIGH.

P.S Add me up on Goodreads and let's fangirl about books!

Have you read any of these books? What good books did you read this month?


Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...